Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why can't we just be European?

We don't have classes on Wednesdays so we slept in since we only had a little to accomplish today. We woke up at 11 and laid around the apartment for a while talking about the traveling we wanted to do and how we needed to figure it out so we could make sure we had enough money. We started researching different passes we could get to travel on the trains to get to different places. We found a perfect one that would let us travel for a full month as much as we wanted and it wasn't to terribly expensive. When we were about to order them we realized you had to be European citizens to be able to purchase them...if you weren't you had to get a EuroRail Pass. They are more expensive and don't include travel to London...which is super expensive by itself. After checking about everything we could think of we have pretty much decided we are going to end up buying the month EuroRail Pass and just get to London on our own. This means we will be traveling every weekend and pretty much every Wednesday (since we don't have classes) in October...including the week we have off classes...to make it worth our money. We have plenty of places we want to visit to travel that much we just will have to take night trains so we dont' have to get hostels everywhere.

We did get conformation on our Disneyland Trip and tickets for the Gymnastics worlds in London. I booked our hostel for Friday & Saturday night that weekend in London. It had a super high rating and was only like 12 Euros a night...which is about $16. If includes breakfast and wireless internet. We will be staying in an 8 person dorm but we'll really only be there to sleep so we aren't real worried about that.

Around 3 we decided we better head downtown and get to the store instead of just sitting here and getting more upset about how expensive travel is. We got ready and wakled to the bus stop. A bus was just pulling away but we knew another one would come in 8 minutes. We waited for it and stood up when it was turning the corner to our stop...but it just kept going. They stared at us as he just drove right by. We decided he hated Americans and just didn't want to pick us up. Travel seems to be easier here if you just belong. When the next bus was in view a French lady walked up and stood nextto the street. We whisperd to each other it would stop for her cause she wasn't American. She didnt' do anything different than we had and the bus stopped. This just added to our being upset about traveling. Once the bus finally picked us up we took it to the mall and i bought the wallet I had seen at Claire's the last time we were there. The id holder I brought with me is nice but it's too hard to get my cards in and out of when i have so many of them in there and I'm afraid to travel with out them. Although we found out today everywhere we have used our cards...except the ATM...has charged us a fee. We are going to try to stop using our cards. We went to MonoPrix while we were there to pick up the things our grocery store doesn't carry. We got some Nutella to eat on our baguette...it's what they put in the chocolate crepes...we also got another baguette and I got some lotion cause the soap here is super drying out my hands. We realized yesterday in our classes that our teachers handed out the powerpoints for notes so I prolly didnt' need to buy the notebooks I did...too bad I can't find the reciept or I'd return them. I found 5 folders for 2 Euros today so I got those to keep all my stuff in for my classes. We got Oust 3-in-1 to use on our apartment to kill germs since we can't seem to find lysol. We knew there was something else we needed but couldn't think of it at all. After we had been home for about an hour I remembered we had needed klennex...guess we'll be using toilet paper for a while.

I read some of my book and enjoyed the rest of our lazy day. I ate my leftover part of the pizza from last night for dinner. I'm going to shower here in a bit and get ready for class tomorrow. We have advertising from 10-1 so we dont have to be up too super early. Hopefully while we are at school tomororw we'll be able to figure out when our French classes are on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I think people tried to tell you that French people don't like Americans!!!!

    ReplyDelete